Amagwinya also known as "Vetkoek" is a delightful zulu snack commonly enjoyed with cheese, polony, mince etc…
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Rise time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings 12 Magwinya
- 7 cups Cake flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 packet Yeast 10g
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2½ cups Warm Water 500ml
- Cooking Oil
- Place all your dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix together well : flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add water and 2 tablespoons of oil and mix well. You may use a mixer if you do not have one your hands will do just fine. After mixing you dough should be sticky.
- Cover your dough with a cloth and let rise for 45mins. (Place in sun for best results).
- Your dough should have doubled in size by now. Knead your dough one more time and let it rest for another 15mins.
- Heat up your oil at a medium temperature. Make sure you put enough oil to allow for deep frying.
- Seperate your dough into balls and fry untill golden brown. Approximately 10 mins.
- fry a few magwinya at time in your pot, they must not touch eachother.