Amahewu is a maize-based fermented food drink tha has been a trusted source of energy in the Zulu culture for years.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 10 cups
- 2 cups Maize meal
- 2 cups(500ml) Cold Water
- 12 cups(3l) Hot Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cake wheat flour you may also use malt intead of flour
- Mix maize meal and cold water together inside your pot. Mix together untill smooth.
- Place pot on high heat and then gradually add all the hot water while stirring.
- Once pot begins to boil close lid and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to simmer for 45mins stirring every 15mins.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled add your sugar and cake wheat flour, stir untill sugar is completely disolved.
- Put in airtight container and allow to ferment for 3 days.
- After fermentation refrigirate and serve chilled. Enjoy!