Jeqe (Steamed Bread)
"uJeqe" or steamed bread is a traditional bread that can be served with stews and soups.
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 2 hours
Servings 1 large jeqe (Steamed bread)
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 large Pot
- 1 large enamel bowl (your bowl should be able to fit in your pot)
- 7 Cups flour cake flour
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 packet Yeast 10g
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Oil
- 2½ Cups Water warm
- Place all your dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and mix together well : flour, sugar, yeast and salt
- Add the oil and water and mix well. You may use a mixer if you do not have one your hands will do just fine. After mixing you dough should be sticky. Remember to leave just a little bit of oil as you will need this for greasing later.
- Cover your dough with a cloth and let rise for 45mins. (Place in sun for best results)
- Your dough should have doubled in size by now. Knead your dough one more time and let it rest for another 15mins.
- Grease your enamel bowl with oil (1 tbsp)
- Place your dough in your enamel bowl. (Your dough should not exeed ¾ of the bowl. If it does use a 2nd bowl.)
- Place your bowl inside your pot with a little bit of of boiling water and close lid. Allow to boil on high for 1 hour.
- After an hour your Jeqe (Steamed bread) is ready. Slice and enjoy with your desired stew or soup.
- If you do not have an enamel dish you may use a plastic bag instead, remember to grease your plastic bag aswell. (make sure your plastic bag does not leak)